giovedì 10 novembre 2011

AN EXCLUSIVE AND UNUSUAL INTERVIEW WITH SCOTT CURTIS (BRANDON CAPWELL #1 ON "SANTA BARBARA"


Today: the interview that Scott Curtis granted in absolute exclusive to “Santa Barbara Blog”. As a former child actor, he is known for his role as Brandon Capwell (1984-1985) on the daytime television series "Santa Barbara". He also had a regular role on Aaron's Way, amongst other shows. In 1988 Curtis had the lead role in the horror film Cameron's Closet. Curtis has not acted since 1990, the same year he made guest appearances on episodes of "Full House" titled, "Thirteen Candles", and "Just Say No Way". Scott credits his professional upbringing with his enthusiasm to produce music to the result of very high expectations.




1.      How did you start acting?

 I learned how to play the accordian and accompanied the piano teacher at an elementary school performance. I was noticed by child star Allison Croft's mother, and she wrote a letter to my mother with the contact for an acting manager. Ricky Schroeder was my influence, and the reason I wanted to start acting.


2.     You originated the role of Brandon Capwell in 1984. That was your first role. You was 8 years old. Do You remember something about your audition?

 Wow. I was very young, and I don't remember much about the audition. I do have memories of what the set would be like, and when I got to the set, it was completely different than I was expecting. Sets are strange in that they only have 3 walls, lots of lights, and that took some getting used to.


3.     Do you remember anything about Bridget and Jerome Dobson (SB creators)?

Not much... I was too young to remember, or be introduced to the creators of the show.


4.     Brandon is a very important character in the storyline. He is the secret son of Channing, Jr. and Santana. CC did anything to tear him from his adoptive mother, Gina (Linda Gibboney). Do You remember anything about the plot?

 Ya know, back then, I would memorize my lines and go to work. I found it very easy to memorize my lines... but as far as what the plot was back then, my memory gets a little hazy.


5.     You also starred in the famous earthquake’s episode. What do you remember about that day? Can you tell us everything you felt and what was the atmosphere around you?

 I actually remember a lot about this episode. I was worried the night before that there was going to be a real earthquake! I remeber being in the scene with CC and Lane Davies. I remeber being under a table, and Lane Davies gave me CPR. Lane had soft lips, LOL, and I remember it being a little strange, but you do the job and I did what I was told to do. It was fun to see the set break and all the smoke and dust. Of course, the earthquake wasn't real, but it looked real.


6.     You also starred in a few scenes with Robin Wright. It was in 1985. Do you remember it? What do you remember about Robin Wright?

First... meeting Robin Wright was the first time I realized that people could have amazing charisma. There was something so amazing about her. I was too young to have a crush, but I was absolutely enthralled with her. Our scenes were the best because any time you got to spend with her was really fantastic. I wish I could meet her again and tell her what an impact she had on me. I learned alot about the beauty of people by acting with her.


7.     What do you remember about the set of SB?

The set was a fun place. All the actors were so much fun to be around. We also shared hallways with the show "Punky Brewster", and there were kids my same age that I could interact with. It was also the first time I had a tutor. I went to school a minimum of 3 hours every day. My tutor was great, Mr. Greene, and he also taught me to speak French. The make-up room was always fun, that was where the actors could be themselves, and they were always funny and fun to be around.


8.     Do you remember anything about the cast?

 YES! Marcy Walker came from a different show, and she played an evil character on that show. I was very scared of her at first, but she was very nice in person. A Martinez was very cool, as was Lane Davies. Melissa Brennan (Reeves) was closer to my age, and I think I remember Andy Gibb coming on set. I think they went to a concert together, and my mom couldn't believe Andy Gibb was on set. I also worked with Melissa on a small budget film "Summercamp Nightmare". She was very bright and beautiful.


9.     Then Robin Mattson replaced Linda Gibboney. Do You remember the change?

I don't remember anything about this question. Sorry!


10. Then in 1985 you left the role. Why?

My agent felt it would be a good career move to film the mentioned "Summercamp Nightmare", and Santa Barbara replaced me when I was gone filming. In hindsight, I don't think it was the right move.


11.   Then in 1990 you left acting. Why?

Well, a couple of reasons. I was really getting into music. I was playing drums in Jr. High, an then in High School. I was playing jazz drums, marching band drums, I was playing drums for our drama department, and in my senior year of High School, I was also playing drums at Cal State University Northridge. So my schedule for music took up every moment of every day. The other reason was that I was getting tired of all the auditions. Auditioning is very difficult. You spend a lot of hours in the car, and it can be very brutal when you get turned down for shows you wanted. I worked a lot too. I was just ready for life's new adventures!



12.  What are you doing today in 2011?

I stuck with drumming in my 20's and I've toured the country as a drummer. Music then led me to music engineering, and I did a tour of europe as a Front of House Engineer. Today, I'm married to a wonderful woman named Jennie. We have two children together, and we live in Reno, Nevada. I own a recording studio, and I'm a full time music producer. Life is good.



13.  This interview is addressed above all at the Italian public. Do You know Italy? What do you say to all those who loved your Brandon Capwell and SB?

 I'd love to come to Italy someday. I'd like to teach my son and daughter Italian, and then make a trip there. To all Santa Barbara fans, just know that the show was very special to all of us, the actors. I'll never forget my time as Brandon Capwell, and I'll continue to use my experiences from that show in my life. Cheers!




3 commenti:

  1. Great interview. Nice to know about Scott after these years. Very interesting the question and answer about Robin Wright.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Bellissimo sito, bellissima quest'intervista.
    Bellissimo quello che ha detto di Robin Wright!!
    Quanto ho amato la sua Kelly!
    Grazie per questo sito!!

    gen

    RispondiElimina

CHI E' COLLEGATO?