domenica 13 novembre 2011

AN EXCLUSIVE AND UNUSUAL INTERVIEW WITH JOHN WESLEY SHIPP (MARTIN ELLIS ON "SANTA BARBARA" - 1986)

John Wesley Shipp is best known as Mitch Leery, the title character's father on the television drama “Dawson's Creek” from 1998 to 2001 and for roles in several daytime soap operas. Among his daytime roles, Shipp is probably best known as Kelly Nelson on “Guiding Light” from 1980 to 1984 and as Douglas Cummings on “As the World Turns” from 1985 to 1986, which earned him his first Daytime Emmy. He also played Martin Ellis on “Santa Barbara” in 1987 (for which he won his second Daytime Emmy), Blanchard Lovelace on “One Life to Live” in 1989, and Carter Jones on “All My Children” in 1992. He played the title role of Barry Allen/The Flash in CBS's “The Flash” in the 1990-1991 season. And now the interview that Mister Shipp has granted exclusively to "Santa Barbara Blog".



1.      You came to Santa Barbara in 1986 in the role of Martin Ellis. You were contacted by the producers of the show or you had to do an audition?

I was contacted by the producers of the show.



2.     Martin was a tennis player and former boyfriend of Victoria Lane (Kristen Meadows). When he tracks her to Santa Barbara, he turns out to be quite abusive and problematic. Victoria had broken with him for these reasons. Do you liked to play the role of Martin? What do you remember about him?

What I liked about Martin was that he continued my string of breaking free from the "nice guy" image that got cemented on "Guiding Light". I enjoyed that even though he was a dick, I got to show a sensitive, little boy side when he was told he would never play tennis again.



3.     On SB You've acted mostly with Kristen Meadows (Tori), A Martinez (Cruz) and Marcy Walker (Eden). Do you want to share with us your memories about the relationship with these actors?

All were professional, although I did not become tight with any of them; I was on for too short a time.



4.     For you it was a good experience or not working in SB? Can you tell us the reasons?

Good experience, they trusted me to play the role full out, and I won my 2nd Emmy.



5.     The creators of SB were Bridget and Jerome Dobson. You've known them? What do you remember about them? Do you have any anecdotes?

Yes I knew the Dobson's. When I think of them I think of Class.



6.     For the role of Martin in 1987 you've won a Daytime Emmy as Outstanding Guest Performer in a Drama Series. You have been the first SB's actor to win an Emmy. In fact, your interpretation was memorable and I wanted to continue seeing you in SB. The producers do not asked you to stay on the show? What are your memories about the ceremony?

I did not want to stay on the show; I had my sites on prime time. What I remember about the ceremony was that I flew up from Williamsburg, Va where I was having a dress-rehearsal of JULIUS CAESAR that night. I did not think I had ANY chance of beating Celeste Holme and Eileen Heckart--both beloved actresses and heavy hitters. I told my family not to bother to go. I was sitting there, very sad remembering the year before when my family was there and I won. When they called my name, the "Oh My God!" you read on my lips was real...In fact I had no speech prepared--unlike the year before--and I now know that is never a good idea, because I botched it. I would love to take some of those cocky words back.



7.     In the USA “Santa Barbara”  always remained in the bottom of the rankings ratings. In the rest of the world and especially in Europe it has had excellent ratings. Furthermore, despite having low ratings, it has been the most award-winning soap and still there are dozens and dozens of sites dedicated to this soap, unlike the others soaps cancelled. You have also worked in other soap operas (Guiding Light, As the World Turns, All my Children and One life to live). What were the differences between this soaps? In your opinion, what made SB unique and special?
Santa Barbara presented the upper class west coast USA lifestyle when none of the other soaps were; there was a glamor built into it. I must say, however, the most special daytime shows I've worked on were "Guiding Light" and "As The World Turns" because these parts were penned by the incomparable Douglas Marland; and my recent stint on "One Life To Live" because of the FREEDOM Frank Valentini gave me to go as far out on the outrageous limb as I wanted, and then saw it off! LOL I loved my colleagues there and probably had the most FUN of any soap on which I've worked. I am usually very serious in my work, and on OLTL I allowed myself to just let it rip enjoy the process, let it be fun FOR ME.



8.     Which are your future plans?

I have a movie, "HELL AND MR FUDGE" which I am very excited about in post production. I am enjoying my trial period living in Atlanta and look forward to more fun and outrageous roles--from Superheroes to Psychopaths--that always seem to come my way.



9.     This interview is designed primarily for the Italian public. In our country,Santa Barbara” was very much loved and followed. What do you know about our country?

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT, Italy is one European country that I have not visited...even I can't believe it. I planned an extensive vacation there once, but the was offered a play and stayed in NYC.I can't wait to go.



10. Do You want to say something to the Italian public who loved/hated Martin Ellis?

To the viewing public I would say: love, hate, whichever: and do it passionately! Thank you for caring. :)


2 commenti:

  1. Concise answers, not for nothing he played The Flash. ;o)
    Douglas Marland, oh yeah.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Thanks for the interview!!!

    RispondiElimina

CHI E' COLLEGATO?