lunedì 11 giugno 2012

EXCLUSIVE AND UNUSUAL INTERVIEW WITH MICHAEL BRAINARD (Ted Capwell #2 on SB)

Today I’m presenting to you the interview that Michael Brainard has granted exclusively to Santa Barbara Blog. He starred on NBC’s soap opera Santa Barbara as the second Ted Capwell. He portrayed the role from 1991 to 1993. He also portrayed Dr. Jake Martin on an ABC soap, All My Children, from 1988 to 1991, prior to joining Santa Barbara. Later he starred on TV series like Silk Stalkings (1994), Family Law (2000), American Heiress (2007) and on movies like Invincible (2006). In 2011 he acted on Gregori J. Martin’s movie “Sebastian”, in addition to having starred on several short movies.



You came to Santa Barbara in October 1991 and you remained until the end. Can you tell us about your audition?

Of course, before SB I worked on AMC for three years. AMC was in New York City, so I moved back to L.A. and six weeks later I was on SB. I auditioned, had a screentest along with three other candidates, and waited. They liked me, but I guess they thought they could do better, because they continued auditioning guys after the initial screentest. A few weeks later I did a second screentest with Paula Irvine, along with another three candidates (one of them the son of Jed Allan), and a day or so later was told I was the new Ted.

In an 1991’s interview for Soap Opera Magazine you said: "I don't quite know what shape Ted will take yet but I do know that there are lots of different things I can do with him, since he's a much stronger character than Joey was." Do You still think that? Are you satisfied with the path of Ted ?

Since I had never watched SB before I got a job on it, I only knew what I was told about Ted. I think I just wanted to play a character that was a polar opposite of Joey Martin (AMC). I played Joey from High school to college age, so I wanted Ted to be a bit more worldly...in short, an adult.

Before SB, you starred on AMC. Which character do you feel more connected with? What were the differences between the two soaps? Which do you think was the most innovative soap?

I felt connected to both characters, but I certainly liked playing Ted much better. Joey didn't have hot tub scenes with his clothes on, and was never handcuffed to bedposts by beautiful women, so it was easy to enjoy Ted's world more! The differences between the two soaps were night and day, as far as I was concerned. AMC was filmed in NYC and SB in LA, a huge difference in temperament right there. My family and friends are in LA, so I was very happy to be working where I came from. It's tough to say which was the more innovative soap, as AMC has always been considered a ground-breaker on social issues over here in the States. They had Vietnam war protest storylines during the war back in the early 1970's, pretty ballsy stuff. AMC also did a storyline about abortion in the early 1970's when the U.S. supreme court was dealing with Roe vs. Wade, a seminal case in the history of the States that gave women the right to abortion. They were also the first to have a same-sex kiss, so it's tough to say SB matched up with that kind of fearlessness. However, compared to SB, AMC is as boring as hell!! SB certainly blew the lid off of soap style and it has not been matched since. The most fun I had there was determining and interpreting the humor in the script, and I was never discouraged to do so by the directors...as they would do with me on AMC.

In the beginning, Ted is very much attracted by Katrina, the typical good girl. He does not return the attentions of Lily, the typical complicated girl. But finally he ends up marrying Lily. Not before having an affair with Angela, a maneater. Maria Ellingsen, Paula Irvine and Nina Arvesen: With which of these actresses you had more chemistry?

Maria, Paula, and Nina....

Well, Paula and I were good pals, but we both felt it was like a brother-sister kind of chemistry. Maria and I were close as well and there was an ease about us, very comfortable in close space. She has an intimacy to her acting that I think was unmatched on SB, so it was clear that there was chemistry there. Nina didn't really think her character should be in a storyline with mine, so we had a difficult time getting close as friends. When one participant isn't willing to work at what you are presented in a script, it makes it tough to work on chemistry. That being said, I think chemistry happens despite what you, as actors, try to bring to it, and I think that was true of Nina and I. The stuff we filmed together remains some of my favorite acting work I have ever done, and part of that is due to the fact that she and I seemed to harmonize.

I had the impression that Maria Ellingsen was a bit cold and detached and in fact she was the only SB actress not to grant me an interview. Can you intercede on my behalf?

Can't help you there, big brother.

One of the differences that I think I've noticed compared to Todd McKee’s Ted, was that your Ted seemed to have a more critical look towards the family, while the first Ted was more compliant. Was this your choice or not?

Not my choice. The writers wanted to grow Ted up as much as I did, and they had control over content. I, as an actor, just did what actors do and interpreted. Ted went away and came back a person able to sustain himself away from the help of his parents, and adult.


In 1988, the Dobsons, SB creators, were locked out by the NBC studios. Following a legal battle, they were reinstated in 1991. In those three years, the soap was also damaged because of producers who did not know well the spirit of the soap. But in 1992 they left again the show. Do you remember if they left or they was fired again? How was it working with the Dobsons?

I never really knew the Dobsons. I think I met them once or twice

A true fan is very curious about all the background. It is true that this adds nothing, but this is fun. Can you tell us something more spicy: a few secrets on SB? There was some antipathy between the actors? some tension?

--I've got nothing for you here. This is a strange business. You never know who you may work with again.

In his autobiography Jed Allan said that he literally hated Wanda DeJesus (Santana), and in fact she did not seems to have an easy temperament. In your opinion, what makes her so unbearable? Do you have any anecdotes?

Wanda is a terrific flirt. On the surface she seemed serious, but that was only with the work. Like most good actors, you want to get things right...according to what you think is right. Certainly what you think is right will sometimes clash with what other actors will think is right, no? Wanda and I had a great working relationship, when she and Jed were bickering I would stay out of it. I could always get her to laugh, though. We were always having fun.

In 1992 Paul Rauch was the Executive Producer of the show and Pam Long was the Head Writer. Which are your memories of them?

Paul and Pam. Paul is a serious man. I think back in '92 he once cracked a smile!! I remember he had a couple of original Frederick Remington paintings in his office. Remington is the quintessential artist of the American west. I have always been an admirer of American western artists, I am still to this day, and when I identified those paintings to him he was much impressed. I think it went a long way in establishing a good relationship with him. He wasn't one for small talk, if you started talking about the weather he would turn heal and leave, but if you could engage him on a loftier level, you could have an amazing conversation.

Pam came aboard and immediately I started working more. She wrote the Ted/Angela story line. I would visit her in her office and encourage her to write me more scenes, which she was graceful enough to listen to my...needs.

In 1992 NBC decided to cancel SB. Is it true that at the last time NBC gave six months of life to the show and then they deleted it?

I don't remember how it went down. I do know that it was on the bubble when I first came on, and that NBC was extending it 6 months at a time. So, as far as giving us 6 more months and then cancelling, it sounds plausible but I don't recall.

You starred on the last episode of SB. What are your memories of it ? There were actors like Jed Allan, Judith McConnell, Nancy Grahn, Robin Mattson and Nicolas Coster who were on the show from the beginning (or almost). What was their mood? I was not very pleased with the final because it was a bit away from the ironic style of SB. And then not even a mention to Eden and Cruz!

The last three or four episodes were shot on location in Laguna Beach at the Ritz-Carlton hotel. My story line was closed out before the last episode, but I was in it. I remember dancing with Paula. Since it was a location shoot I think we all felt like we were on vacation, so though there were tears, I don't think it was as emotional as when we shot our last episode in studio a week before.


In the USA “Santa Barbara” always remained in the bottom of the rankings ratings. In the rest of the world and especially in Europe it has had excellent ratings. Furthermore, despite having low ratings, it has been the most award-winning soap and still there are dozens and dozens of sites dedicated to this soap, unlike the others soaps cancelled. How do you explain this different reception?

I am not really a watcher of soap operas. It's difficult to compare them. I think for most Europeans that SB was familiar to them. It has the disparity of the classes, Rich moguls and scions and the others struggling to live in their shadow. The set design was familiar, old Spanish style architecture, as the real Santa Barbara was built when Spanish architecture was in revival in California, which is reminiscent of old Europe. And somehow the humor and circumstances struck a chord as well. But I don't know why it didn't catch on here in the States. New soaps never caught on on any network, no matter how hard they tried. Unless you began by the early 1970's, it seems you were doomed for cancellation. I wish it were not so.

This interview is designed primarily for the Italian public. In our country, “Santa Barbara” was very much loved and followed. Do You want to say something to the Italian public who loved your and our Ted Capwell?

I miss SB as much as you do. Good luck. It was fun thinking about those times again!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

CHI E' COLLEGATO?